Wednesday 22 April 2015

Thyroid Madness - Lets start at the begining

Firstly I want to say thank you for taking the time to read my blog. This is my very first one, so please excuse any "mistakes" not to mention the fact it can sometimes be very hard for me to remember what I am trying to say. This is a pretty crazy journey that I have been on since a very young age. The daily confusion (thyroid patients call it "brain fog"), memory loss, emotions, joint pain, hair loss, weight gain/loss, difficulty regulating body temperature, chronic fatigue, adrenal fatigue and that's just a very small list of symptoms that not just I deal with, but a lot of other Thyroid Disease sufferers deal with day in day out.

What is the Thyroid?? The thyroid is our master gland of metabolism and energy. Every single body function that requires oxygen and energy. Basically, everything that goes on in our bodies requires thyroid hormone in proper amounts. That means we need the proper balance of thyroid hormone in order to feel and live well. We need thyroid hormone to think clearly and remember things, to maintain a good mood, to grow hair and nails, to have basic energy to get through the day, to see well, to digest our food, to burn calories, to be fertile, to get pregnant and have a healthy baby, to have a good sex drive, and much, much more. In some ways, you can think about thyroid hormone as the gasoline that makes the car go. No gas, and there's no way to move forward.

By no means is this a sympathy blog so if you feel the need to leave any nasty comments please don't bother. If I can help or inspire even one person by sharing my story then my mission here is complete. There could also be a bit of swearing, so sorry in advance.

So here it goes...

My name is Ashton, I am 27 years old and I have Thyroid Disease (Sounds like I should be standing at the front of a room at an AA meeting).  I was born on the 26 June in Brisbane to Sheree.  I was born 8 pound and I was 4 weeks premature, I can only imagine how big I would have been if I had of stayed in there! At 36 weeks gestation mum was hit by a car and in turn her pancreas was damaged and she developed gestational diabetes and still to this day almost 28yrs later she still has diabetes.  I was born a diabetic baby but soon grew out of it.  I wonder if being born with diabetes and not being in the womb for the full term of the pregnancy contributed to my Thyroid Disease???

My family history of Thyroid issues most definitely contributed.  My Grandmother had her thyroid removed, mum has Hashimotis Hypothyroidism, my uncle an under active thyroid.... the list goes on.

Anyone that suffers from Thyroid Disease would know that trying to explain to someone exactly how you are feeling is almost impossible but over the next couple of weeks I'm going to take you through my life in stages and how I have found ways and still find ways to get through every day. Some days its very hard to even get out of bed.  If someone was looking at me I look quite "healthy", but on the inside, there is a whole other story.........


Ashton X



1 comment:

  1. Very proud of you for taking this step & starting your blog. I'm certain you will feel the therapeutic benefits, emotionally & physically from sharing your story with others. Be humble & joyous with your followers and have acceptance for those who may not understand or agree. Good luck and have fun. I look forward to reading your blogs xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Are you on the right medication?

Being on the right medication and the correct dosage is so so important. When my thyroid was first removed I was placed on the standard med...