Tuesday 21 March 2017

Thyroid Madness - I'm Back

Image may contain: 1 person, closeup

Hi Again!

It's been almost 2 years since I have written a blog as I go through phases of not wanting to share my story out of fear of revealing to much personal information.

I find it very hard to offload or try and explain to people whats happening. Sometimes it feels like i'm repeating myself or its one thing after the next. But after talking to several people about the day to day struggles of having no thyroid, I have started to realise that by sharing my story I have actually been able to help them, maybe even inspire them. 

Hi, My name's Ashton and 4 years ago I was told my thyroid had to be removed. I had silent thyroiditis on the left side and a large nodule on the right side that came back inconclusive (pretty much if it had of stayed there it wouldn't have been good). So bye bye thyroid and hello to a world of anything and everything or so it seems.

WHAT IS A THYROID???? OMG the amount of people that I come across on a daily basis that actually have no idea what a thyroid is outrageous! Well let me give you a quick run down. The thyroid gland is a gland located in the front of our necks. It stores and produces hormones that affect the function of virtually every organ in our bodies. Thyroid hormones affect your metabolism rate, which means how fast or slow your brain, heart, muscles, liver, and other parts of your body work.If your body works too fast or too slowly, you won’t feel well. For example, if you don’t have enough thyroid hormone, you might feel tired and cold. Or, if you have too much thyroid hormone, you might feel nervous, jumpy, and warm. It's basically the epicentre of your body.... I have done years of research and could probably tell you just about anything about the thyroid and the affects it has on your body.  Anyway I wont bore you with all the nitty gritty facts but i'm sure just by that little run down you understand the importance of having "normal" thyroid levels.  I now am on daily medication for the rest of my life. I take 4 grains of natural desiccated thyroid extract every morning as soon as I wake up. This is a more natural alternative to the standard thyroxine that is prescribed. I had a major reaction to it so I cant take. Don't have the medication I die, pretty simple. That's a whole different blog though! Happy to answer any questions on it.

Lucky for me I am the type of person that if I am given some "bad" news about my health I will spend hours and hours researching it and coming up with ways I can either manage it or solve it.  I guess this is another reason I have decided to start blogging again. If I can help someone through their journey my mission here will be complete.

These last 2 weeks have been pretty rough. To the person sitting next to me at work or the person that I work out next to at the gym or even the person that lives in the same house as me would think that I'm just your average 29 year old chick. I look quite healthy on the outside but on the inside it can sometimes be a very different story.  I get up everyday and work 9-10 hours sometimes more depending on my day.  My job is pretty stressful to say the least and unfortunately stress in a major contributing factor to the massive highs and massive lows of not having a thyroid.

I'm going to check back in at the end of each week to see what high and lows I have encountered throughout the week.  In the process I will reveal a little more about how I have gotten to this point and the multiple diagnoses that have been given to me and how they are all related to either not having a thyroid, my medication not working properly or autoimmune diseases that all go hand in hand with each other.

It's been one hell of a journey but I absolutely love my life and I will keep loving my life.  And to all the amazing people in my life who have been on this journey with me, I cant thank you enough. You all know who you are. 



 Ashton X



No comments:

Post a Comment

Are you on the right medication?

Being on the right medication and the correct dosage is so so important. When my thyroid was first removed I was placed on the standard med...